Building Relationships with Decision Makers
3 Reasons to Get to Know Your Lawmakers
- Help your lawmaker get to know you and your community.
- Establish yourself as a credible source for information and connections in the community.
- Share vital stories of community members you want them to remember.
Sharing Your Story
Your story can have a significant impact! It helps bring an issue to life for your listener.
By sharing your story, you can:
- Put a face on facts and figures.
- Connect lawmakers to constituents and what’s happening in their district.
- Provide the human-interest side of an issue.
- Help gain media coverage of an issue.
- Inspire new advocates to join the effort.
When sharing your story with a decision-maker, you need a clear objective and some details to illustrate your point. Consider using transitions such as “if … then” or “since …then” and be sure to finish with an “ask,” meaning what you want your lawmaker to do regarding the issue.
Remember, sharing your personal experience is compelling, demonstrates passion for an issue and is “sticky” — it helps people remember you!